Sunday, April 19, 2020

Preparing to Move Abroad

(So let's talk about moving abroad. Years ago, in 2010, I had studied abroad in the bonny country of Caledonia (ie Scotland). I am glad I could get a working visa there, by a certain age, because I really need to go back, it;s great there!


Great online example of
Moving Abroad Checklist
https://meetthewards.com/checklistformovingabroad/

So what to start with prepping for moving abroad...finding information from other lovely people who have done the same is a good starting point, including my awesome sister who taught English in Korea for 3 years.
Certain aspects of this were easier for me, I didn't have a car, house, partner, pets. You can still do it if you do though, you'll just have to prioritize and focus.

So for moving abroad I focused on what should be done, chronologically.

I started with some simple things, such as making COLOR copies of important paperwork, such as passport, birth certificate etc, having those on hand, and saving them electronically. That way if something happens to my passport, as long as a I have a good color copy, in case of an emergency that'll help.

Next I made sure I had everything I needed to apply for my working holiday visa. For New Zealand specifically see here, , https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas , otherwise, you can google immigration _insert country name here__. After that, I started working tons, saving for the trip, and paying off lots of school loans (thank you failed American education system). Overall I hit a majority of my goals very well before I was off to New Zealand--which was a relief--because traveling with lots of loans was a scary thought to me.

Working on Preping for the Move... tea, scone and passport with paperwork
*Side note: I think I forgot to mention, but another major reason why I wanted to move abroad, in general, was to have a better way of life. A majority of countries, even 3rd world ones, have free excellent universal health care, free education (including university), good public spaces and transportation, paid required parental leave, better work life balance...to name a few.

Besides these major above points, I have listed a lot of the things I went through on my list, and further sources and examples are at the bottom.

List...
.Final Doctor's appointments
-travel clinic, need shots?
-make copies (color for IDs) of: passport, visa, shots, Rx letter from dr, traveler's insurance (have with you, online and with family back home).
-Passport, when does it expire? needs to be good for at least 6 months after you plan to leave a country
-research visa options: I was doing a working holiday visa
-what do I want to keep?
-Sell/donate the rest
-Final Doctor, Dentist and eye appointments
-8 weeks prior...apply for working holiday visa (age limit)
-6 weeks prior give part time job notice
Awesome Gregory 35L pack
that I got for my Birthday
-book travelers insurance (thanks www.worldnomads.com )
-4 weeks prior 1 month notice for moving out
-4 weeks prior, give 2 weeks notice to primary job
-mail forwarded
-book accommodation in first city, Auckland , NZ.
-practice packing...it's trickier when you're going somewhere with lots of weather extremes, vs SE Asia, where it is almost always nice and warm
-get up to a 3 month supply on all needed prescriptions

Other Great Sources:
- great checklist of what to do, and what to pack

Coming Up...
My Adventures in New Zealand

2 comments:

  1. After having a persistent cough for over a year, I was diagnosed with COPD
    in March 2015. In 2016 my COPD got worse to the point where not only do I
    have trouble sleeping at night, I also struggle to get air into my lungs. I
    read in a health forum of a herbal centre (native health clinic) who have successful treatment to COPD/Emphysema, i immediately
    contacted the herbal centre via their website and purchased the COPD herbal
    remedy, I used the remedy for 2 weeks, all my symptoms were reversed, i did
    another test for confirmation, i was declared COPD free. email (
    nativehealthclinic@gmail.com) or WhatsApp/Call him on +2348140073965

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy and happiness is all i see around ever since i came in contact with this great man. i complained bitterly to him about me having herpes only for him to tell me it’s a minor stuff. He told me he has cured thousands of people but i did not believe until he sent me the herbal medicine and i took it as instructed by this great man, only to go to the hospital after two weeks for another test and i was confirmed negative. For the first time in four years i was getting that result. i want to use this medium to thank this great man. His name is Dr aziegbe, i came in contact with his email through a friend in UK and ever since then my live has been full with laughter and great peace of mind. i urge you all with herpes or HSV to contact him if you willing to give him a chance. you can contact him through this email DRAZIEGBE1SPELLHOME@GMAIL .COM or you can also WhatsApp him +2349035465208
    He also cured my friend with HIV and ever since then i strongly believe he can do all things. Don't be deceived thinking he does not work, i believe if you can get in contact with this man all your troubles will be over. i have done my part in spreading the good news. Contact him through his email and you will be the next to testify of his great work.

    ReplyDelete